Bug 139115

Summary: [cpufreq] low cpu frequency reported [regression]
Product: Base System Reporter: Arkadiy Kulev <eth>
Component: i386Assignee: freebsd-i386 (Nobody) <i386>
Status: Open ---    
Severity: Affects Only Me    
Priority: Normal    
Version: Unspecified   
Hardware: Any   
OS: Any   

Description Arkadiy Kulev 2009-09-24 15:30:01 UTC
I have installed Freebsd 7.2 "out of the box" and noticed, that some of
the processes are taking much more time to complete than usual.

After investigating the problem, I noticed, that sysctl reports abnormally
low cpu frequency:

dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 15/89000
dev.est.0.freq_settings: 15/89000
dev.est.1.freq_settings: 15/89000
dev.est.2.freq_settings: 15/89000
dev.est.3.freq_settings: 15/89000

dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.freq: 15
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 15/89000
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.1.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.1.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.1.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU1
dev.cpu.1.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.1.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.1.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.2.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.2.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.2.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU2
dev.cpu.2.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.2.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.2.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.2.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.3.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.3.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.3.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU3
dev.cpu.3.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.3.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.3.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.3.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.3.cx_usage: 100.00%

The funny thing is, that I have another machine with the same architecture,
still running freebsd 7.0 and it works fine:

dev.cpu.0.freq: 2394
dev.est.0.freq_settings: 2394/89000 1596/56960
dev.est.1.freq_settings: 2394/89000 1596/56960
dev.est.2.freq_settings: 2394/89000 1596/56960
dev.est.3.freq_settings: 2394/89000 1596/56960


dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.freq: 2394
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2394/89000 2094/77875 1795/66750 1596/56960 1396/49840 1197/42720 997/35600 798/28480 598/21360
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.1.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.1.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.1.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU1
dev.cpu.1.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.1.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.1.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.2.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.2.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.2.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU2
dev.cpu.2.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.2.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.2.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.2.cx_usage: 100.00%
dev.cpu.3.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.3.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.3.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU3
dev.cpu.3.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.3.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.3.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.3.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.3.cx_usage: 100.00%

I assume, that there is some bug somewhere in freebsd versions >7.0.

How-To-Repeat: Have no idea, the problem appeared right after the upgrade from 7.0 to
7.2 (fresh install).
Comment 1 Eitan Adler freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2017-12-31 08:01:34 UTC
For bugs matching the following criteria:

Status: In Progress Changed: (is less than) 2014-06-01

Reset to default assignee and clear in-progress tags.

Mail being skipped