|Summary:||[em] em Receive errors / CRC Errors / Alignment Errors|
|Product:||Base System||Reporter:||Curtis Hacker <hakcenter>|
|Status:||Closed Overcome By Events|
|Severity:||Affects Only Me||CC:||sbruno|
Description Curtis Hacker 2010-06-19 05:20:01 UTC
I'm getting huge Ierrs through netstat -i on my em device. I really never update the machine, but I guess since last kernel/world update this happened. I really can't be very descriptive in that area since I'm not exactly sure when. I just tried to do some portupgrades today and noticed the awful receive speed of 15kb/sec. I have a custom kernel with just altq / hz=1000 / polling enabled. Everything else is generic. Make.conf: CPUTYPE?=pentium4. I've disabled polling.. hasn't helped. I've removed rxcsum / txcsum.. hasn't helped. Disabling pf rules hasn't helped. Unloading pf module hasn't helped. I've removed all sysctl tweaks of buffers etc.. nada I've tried : /boot/loader.conf hw.em.rxd=4096 hw.em.txd=4096 hw.em.rx_process_limit="-1" dev.em.0.rx_int_delay: 250 dev.em.0.tx_int_delay: 250 dev.em.0.rx_abs_int_delay: 250 dev.em.0.tx_abs_int_delay: 250 Still hasn't helped. I've just recently compiled the smp em module from http://people.yandex-team.ru/~wawa/ I really can't seem to debug this machine. It gets HORRIBLE receiving.. yet tx is perfectly fine. Unfortunatly I can't debug the machine in person its on a colo out of state, but I assume the switch / cable is fine. pciconf -lcv em0@pci0:0:8:0: class=0x020000 card=0x004e8086 chip=0x100e8086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00 vendor = 'Intel Corporation' device = 'Gigabit Ethernet Controller (82540EM)' class = network subclass = ethernet cap 01[dc] = powerspec 2 supports D0 D3 current D0 cap 07[e4] = PCI-X supports 2048 burst read, 1 split transaction cap 05[f0] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit dmesg em0: link state changed to UP em0: Excessive collisions = 0 em0: Sequence errors = 0 em0: Defer count = 0 em0: Missed Packets = 0 em0: Receive No Buffers = 0 em0: Receive Length Errors = 0 em0: Receive errors = 240 em0: Crc errors = 289 em0: Alignment errors = 7 em0: Collision/Carrier extension errors = 0 em0: RX overruns = 0 em0: watchdog timeouts = 0 em0: RX MSIX IRQ = 0 TX MSIX IRQ = 0 LINK MSIX IRQ = 0 em0: XON Rcvd = 0 em0: XON Xmtd = 0 em0: XOFF Rcvd = 0 em0: XOFF Xmtd = 0 em0: Good Packets Rcvd = 10562 em0: Good Packets Xmtd = 10386
Comment 1 Mark Linimon 2010-06-21 04:25:47 UTC
Responsible Changed From-To: freebsd-i386->freebsd-net Over to maintainer(s).
Comment 2 Andre Oppermann 2010-08-23 15:30:51 UTC
Responsible Changed From-To: freebsd-net->jfv Over to maintainer.
Comment 3 Sean Bruno 2015-06-30 17:37:20 UTC
em(4) has been significantly updated in 10.2r and current. If this is still a problem in your case (might be using lem(4) instead of em(4)), reopen this issue for further research.