|Summary:||sysutils/smenu: allow using base ncurses|
|Product:||Ports & Packages||Reporter:||Steve Wills <swills>|
|Component:||Individual Port(s)||Assignee:||Danilo G. Baio <dbaio>|
|Severity:||Affects Only Me||CC:||dbaio|
Comment 1 Danilo G. Baio 2020-02-07 02:16:42 UTC
Hi Steve. On CURRENT it's now working fine with ncurses from base. On FreeBSD 12.1 is still buggy. How to reproduce: $ fetch -o /tmp/smenu_list1.txt https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dbaio/8f54ac489557ee165995cd24c10f5a9a/raw/b0e772173a8e6759fe6d1b76c488dce685b6f9f3/gistfile1.txt $ fetch -o /tmp/smenu_list2.txt https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dbaio/0f1168d090e117dd2aa84b916f50a89d/raw/d3f09180c5b31b4ff9088bd46fced1a39ecdc6fd/gistfile1.txt $ cat /tmp/smenu_list1.txt| smenu -n10 -c and $ cat /tmp/smenu_list2.txt| smenu -n10 -c ### ncurses from base $ ldd /usr/local/bin/smenu /usr/local/bin/smenu: libncurses.so.8 => /lib/libncurses.so.8 (0x80025f000) libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x8002b6000) ### ncurses from ports $ ldd /usr/local/bin/smenu /usr/local/bin/smenu: libtinfo.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libtinfo.so.6 (0x800265000) libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x8002a4000)
Comment 2 Steve Wills 2020-02-07 13:11:06 UTC
(In reply to Danilo G. Baio from comment #1) I didn't see an issue, but I was only 12.0. What's the issue I should be seeing?
Comment 3 Danilo G. Baio 2020-02-09 19:48:38 UTC
(In reply to Steve Wills from comment #2) smenu-ncurses-base https://asciinema.org/a/Eq3rXMBl6HK8rixGBrT7g3W9B smenu-ncurses-port https://asciinema.org/a/0dnN6MiV6TIlTFUynIDU1OEjn
Comment 4 Steve Wills 2020-02-12 21:51:31 UTC
(In reply to Danilo G. Baio from comment #3) Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm still not able to reproduce though: https://asciinema.org/a/PO34yNsLDmq1u9szlFq18ZzJ7 Am I missing something going wrong there? Perhaps this is a terminal emulator issue?
Comment 5 Steve Wills 2020-07-13 20:43:36 UTC
(In reply to Steve Wills from comment #4) Any update here?
Comment 6 Danilo G. Baio 2020-07-14 12:29:30 UTC
(In reply to Steve Wills from comment #5) Hi Steve. There is still some issue here, don't know if it's ncurses (termcap/terminfo) related or just a bug in smenu. I found how to reproduce it, it happens in any FreeBSD version, but you will need to connect to a remote host. My old tests were on remote hosts directly. With hosts near me, (20-40ms) I can't reproduce it. When trying with hosts > 120ms, it happens all the time. See this video, connecting to a Vagrant box locally (working fine) and then passing the connection through a remote tunnel (showing the issue). https://asciinema.org/a/aQxd0s991TzBnuZ8A5Doaq1KS The different thing we have on ncurses from base and from ports is that in base we use termcap and smenu needs some terminfo capabilities.
Comment 7 Danilo G. Baio 2020-09-03 22:31:15 UTC
(In reply to Danilo G. Baio from comment #6) https://github.com/p-gen/smenu/commit/2a801c707b6a1d0d404343bb7903a9b67d9a8721 With this patch smenu is working fine with ncurses from base, waiting the new release to proceed with this PR, there are a lot of changes in the changelog.
Comment 8 commit-hook 2020-09-18 22:06:42 UTC
A commit references this bug: Author: dbaio Date: Fri Sep 18 22:06:06 UTC 2020 New revision: 548922 URL: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/548922 Log: sysutils/smenu: Update to 0.9.16 Changelog: https://github.com/p-gen/smenu/releases/tag/v0.9.16 Many improvements in this versions and we don't need ncurses from ports anymore. PR: 243945 Changes: head/sysutils/smenu/Makefile head/sysutils/smenu/distinfo