Bug 247721

Summary: x11/kde: locale settings in konsole do not honour ~/.login_conf
Product: Ports & Packages Reporter: Walter von Entferndt <walter.von.entferndt>
Component: Individual Port(s)Assignee: freebsd-kde (Team) <kde>
Status: New ---    
Severity: Affects Many People CC: lwhsu, michael.osipov
Priority: ---    
Version: Latest   
Hardware: Any   
OS: Any   

Description Walter von Entferndt 2020-07-02 17:48:24 UTC
I am refering to my initial bug report on https://dev.gnupg.org/T4981 (closed as invalid by me).

In my ~/.login_conf I have set de_DE.UTF-8 and charset as documented in the handbook, and cap_mkdb(8)'ed it.  In KDE systemsettings, I have set "Germany" as the region, and all detailed settings are "no change" except for 'numeric' I have 'ksh_DE' for a modern numeric format "1 234 567,89".
When I issue 'locale' and 'locale charmap' on the bare console, they show the correct settings LC_*=de_DE.UTF-8 and UTF-8, resp.  But in the KDE konsole, the env variables are LC_*=C and charmap=US-ASCII, except LANG=de_DE.UTF-8.

Programs like gpg show strange (mixed) handling of 8-bit characters when I use it in KDE konsole (see the above link).

I have no idea where this bug is rooted: my own misconfiguration, sddm, KDE startup script, some KDE lib, KDE systemsettings, konsole (all of these: upstream), or the FreeBSD patches for one of these.

Thx in advance!
Comment 1 Michael Osipov 2020-07-02 18:15:48 UTC
Your ksh_DE should be the only true format. Highly in favor of this.