Bug 73539

Summary: editors/openoffice-1.1: Compiler errors during configuration part of port make.
Product: Ports & Packages Reporter: Kevin <Kevin>
Component: Individual Port(s)Assignee: freebsd-openoffice (Nobody) <openoffice>
Status: Closed FIXED    
Severity: Affects Only Me    
Priority: Normal    
Version: Latest   
Hardware: Any   
OS: Any   

Description Kevin 2004-11-04 17:30:26 UTC
When attempting to build openoffice-1.1.3 on a month-old RELENG_5 system I fail
when configure trys testing for /sys/tpyes.h. The error is:configure:3821: checking for sys/types.h
configure:3837: gcc32 -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
In file included from conftest.c:45:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd5.2/3.2.3/include/sys/types.h:251: syntax error before "udev_t"
configure:3843: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <stdio.h>
| #if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
| # include <sys/types.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
| # include <sys/stat.h>
| #endif
| #if STDC_HEADERS
| # include <stdlib.h>
| # include <stddef.h>
| #else
| # if HAVE_STDLIB_H
| #  include <stdlib.h>
| # endif
| #endif
| #if HAVE_STRING_H
| # if !STDC_HEADERS && HAVE_MEMORY_H
| #  include <memory.h>
| # endif
| # include <string.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_STRINGS_H
| # include <strings.h>
| #endif
| #if HAVE_INTTYPES_H
| # include <inttypes.h>
| #else
| # if HAVE_STDINT_H
| #  include <stdint.h>
| # endif
| #endif
| #if HAVE_UNISTD_H
| # include <unistd.h>
| #endif
|
| #include <sys/types.h>
configure:3867: result: no

I have looked at sys/types and I'm baffled as to what the compiler might be
complaining about. My sys/types:251 contains:
typedef __udev_t        udev_t;         /* device number */

I can provies a full log file as well as the output of configure and the
contents of config.h if it would be useful.

Fix: 

portupgrade openoffice
Comment 1 Herve Quiroz freebsd_committer 2004-11-04 17:41:33 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: freebsd-ports-bugs->openoffice

Over to maintainers. 

BTW, I edited the synopsis. FYI, submitters are encouraged to indicate the port 
the PR is related to in the synopsis. This greatly helps commiters to handle 
PRs.
Comment 2 clive 2004-11-05 03:45:34 UTC
On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:29:09AM -0800, Kevin@es.net wrote:
> >Number:         73539
> >Category:       ports
> >Synopsis:       Compiler errors during configuration part of port make.
> configure:3837: gcc32 -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> In file included from conftest.c:45:
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd5.2/3.2.3/include/sys/types.h:251: syntax error before "udev_t"

    Do you have a gcc32 previously installed? Try to deinstall it and
restart the OOo build.

-- 
Clive Tong-I Lin | http://tongi.org | PGP KeyID: A008C03E
Comment 3 Kevin Oberman 2004-11-05 18:11:02 UTC
> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:45:34 +0800
> From: Clive Lin <clive@tongi.org>
> 
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:29:09AM -0800, Kevin@es.net wrote:
> > >Number:         73539
> > >Category:       ports
> > >Synopsis:       Compiler errors during configuration part of port make.
> > configure:3837: gcc32 -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> > In file included from conftest.c:45:
> > /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd5.2/3.2.3/include/sys/types.h:251: syntax error before "udev_t"
> 
>     Do you have a gcc32 previously installed? Try to deinstall it and
> restart the OOo build.

Thank you. I don't understand why it helped, but I re-installed
gcc-3.2.3 and it configures correctly. I won't know about all of
openoffice for a few hours, of course.

Can you see any reason for this rather odd behavior of the compiler?

Thanks again!
-- 
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
Comment 4 clive 2004-11-06 05:00:57 UTC
On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:11:02AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Can you see any reason for this rather odd behavior of the compiler?

Gcc32 installs its own include files, and OOo build procedure takes it
as includes, too. I don't know about the details how gcc32 includes
are generated, but I'm sure they do differ according to system
includes at that time they got compiled.

--
Comment 5 Clive Lin freebsd_committer 2004-11-06 06:08:17 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->closed

Issue resolved by re-install gcc32 port.
Comment 6 Kevin Oberman 2004-11-06 14:25:51 UTC
> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:00:57 +0800
> From: Clive Lin <clive@tongi.org>
> 
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:11:02AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Can you see any reason for this rather odd behavior of the compiler?
> 
> Gcc32 installs its own include files, and OOo build procedure takes it
> as includes, too. I don't know about the details how gcc32 includes
> are generated, but I'm sure they do differ according to system
> includes at that time they got compiled.

Thanks for the explanation! I now suspect that several compiler coupled
ports may need to be installed again even when no new port of the
compiler or the library has been released to ports. Makes sence and also
explains why I have had to force a re-install of libsigc++ a couple of
times to re-install glibmm and friends.
-- 
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634