Bug 111591 - [acpi] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns I/O error (regression)
Summary: [acpi] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns I/O error (regression)
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Base System
Classification: Unclassified
Component: kern (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: Any Any
: Normal Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-acpi mailing list
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2007-04-15 08:40 UTC by Dominic Fandrey
Modified: 2008-03-03 18:01 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Dominic Fandrey 2007-04-15 08:40:01 UTC
After updating to Releng_6 yesterday (base and kernel) from a previous
post 6.2 Releng_6 the sysctl command

# sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=1

returns the following output:

dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
sysctl: dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: Input/output error

Hence all Fn-KEY bindings do not produce acpi events that I can handle
in /etc/devd.conf. This is pretty inconvenient, since I have a script
that handles 19 of these events (e.g. preventing suspend, when radeon.ko
is loaded or starting a wireless scan on Fn-F5, manual CPU speed control...).

The problem does not exist in Releng_6_2, which I use as a fallback kernel
for now.

How-To-Repeat: # kldload acpi_ibm
# sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=1
Comment 1 Remko Lodder freebsd_committer 2007-04-15 10:16:55 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->closed

duplicate of 111590
Comment 2 Remko Lodder freebsd_committer 2007-04-15 10:18:14 UTC
State Changed
From-To: closed->open

Reopen (different ticket): reassign to acpi team 


Comment 3 Remko Lodder freebsd_committer 2007-04-15 10:18:14 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: freebsd-i386->freebsd-acpi

Reopen (different ticket): reassign to acpi team
Comment 4 Dominic Fandrey 2007-04-15 10:24:13 UTC
Remko Lodder wrote:
> Synopsis: [Releng_6][i386][acpi_ibm] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns I/O error
> 
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: remko
> State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 15 09:16:55 UTC 2007
> State-Changed-Why: 
> duplicate of 111590
> 
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111591
> 

What does a problem with the acpi_ibm module have to do with psm? I think those are two distinct problems. Other acpi features that are not used through the acpi_ibm module work fine.
Comment 5 Remko Lodder freebsd_committer 2007-04-15 14:01:10 UTC
[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Remko Lodder wrote:
>> Synopsis: [Releng_6][i386][acpi_ibm] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns I/O error
>>
>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>> State-Changed-By: remko
>> State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 15 09:16:55 UTC 2007
>> State-Changed-Why: 
>> duplicate of 111590
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111591
>>
> 
> What does a problem with the acpi_ibm module have to do with psm? I think those are two distinct problems. Other acpi features that are not used through the acpi_ibm module work fine.

As you might have seen this already had been corrected.
Thanks for the headsup though,

regards,
remko

-- 
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder               ** remko@elvandar.org
      FreeBSD                    ** remko@FreeBSD.org

      /* Quis custodiet ipsos custodes */
Comment 6 Dominic Fandrey 2007-04-15 20:42:12 UTC
Remko Lodder wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>> Remko Lodder wrote:
>>> Synopsis: [Releng_6][i386][acpi_ibm] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns
>>> I/O error
>>>
>>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>>> State-Changed-By: remko
>>> State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 15 09:16:55 UTC 2007
>>> State-Changed-Why: duplicate of 111590
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111591
>>>
>>
>> What does a problem with the acpi_ibm module have to do with psm? I
>> think those are two distinct problems. Other acpi features that are
>> not used through the acpi_ibm module work fine.
> 
> As you might have seen this already had been corrected.
> Thanks for the headsup though,
> 
> regards,
> remko

I cannot seem to find another PR about this. If it has already been corrected, I suppose these corrections didn't make it into stable, yet.
Comment 7 Remko Lodder freebsd_committer 2007-04-15 22:12:13 UTC
[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Remko Lodder wrote:
>> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>>> Remko Lodder wrote:
>>>> Synopsis: [Releng_6][i386][acpi_ibm] dev.acpi_ibm.0.events returns
>>>> I/O error
>>>>
>>>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>>>> State-Changed-By: remko
>>>> State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 15 09:16:55 UTC 2007
>>>> State-Changed-Why: duplicate of 111590
>>>>
>>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111591
>>>>
>>> What does a problem with the acpi_ibm module have to do with psm? I
>>> think those are two distinct problems. Other acpi features that are
>>> not used through the acpi_ibm module work fine.
>> As you might have seen this already had been corrected.
>> Thanks for the headsup though,
>>
>> regards,
>> remko
> 
> I cannot seem to find another PR about this. If it has already been corrected, I suppose these corrections didn't make it into stable, yet.
> 

I ment that the ticket was reopened and assigned to the proper team.

-- 
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder               ** remko@elvandar.org
      FreeBSD                    ** remko@FreeBSD.org

      /* Quis custodiet ipsos custodes */
Comment 8 Dominic Fandrey 2007-04-16 06:03:15 UTC
Remko Lodder wrote:
> I ment that the ticket was reopened and assigned to the proper team.

Sorry about that, I'm a bit slow, lately.
Comment 9 Dominic Fandrey 2007-06-16 11:04:22 UTC
The problem is not present in today's stable, so I think this can be closed.

Thanks a lot.

FreeBSD mobileKamikaze.norad 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Sat Jun 16
11:16:01 CEST 2007
root@mobileKamikaze.norad:/usr/obj/TPR40-6/i386/usr/src/sys/TPR40-6  i386
Comment 10 Gavin Atkinson freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2008-03-03 18:00:14 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->closed

Submitter reports that this was fixed