Bug 173830 - [zfs] Brain-dead simple change to ZFS error description link prefix
Summary: [zfs] Brain-dead simple change to ZFS error description link prefix
Status: Closed Overcome By Events
Alias: None
Product: Base System
Classification: Unclassified
Component: kern (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: Any Any
: Normal Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-bugs mailing list
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-11-22 08:40 UTC by vermaden
Modified: 2019-07-16 11:36 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description vermaden 2012-11-22 08:40:00 UTC
Hi,

When something in ZFS/ZPOOL fails, it displays links to error description to http://www.sun.com/msg/${ERROR} but these links do not work anymore after Oracle acquired Sun.

It should be brain-dead easy to change all occurrences in the source from  not working http://www.sun.com/msg to https://www.illumos.org/msg prefix.

This should be helpful:

% grep -r 'http://www.sun.com/msg' /usr/src 
/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/os/.svn/text-base/fm.c.svn-base:static const char *fm_url = "http://www.sun.com/msg";
/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/os/fm.c:static const char *fm_url = "http://www.sun.com/msg";
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/mirror.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz1.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/log.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/log.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/mirror.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz2.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz2.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz2.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz2.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/.svn/text-base/raidz2.t.svn-base:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz1.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q"

Regards,
vermaden

Fix: 

(not tested)

# find /usr/src -type -f -exec sed -i '' s/http:\/\/www.sun.com\/msg/https:\/\/www.illumos.org\/msg/g {} ';'
How-To-Repeat: Broke ZFS and try to follow the suggested link ;)
Comment 1 Andriy Gapon freebsd_committer 2012-11-22 13:59:11 UTC
> When something in ZFS/ZPOOL fails, it displays links to error description to http://www.sun.com/msg/${ERROR} but these links do not work anymore after Oracle acquired Sun.
> 
> It should be brain-dead easy to change all occurrences in the source from  not working http://www.sun.com/msg to https://www.illumos.org/msg prefix.

This is already done for all end-user visible messages.
You can double-check the list below yourself.

You could be more specific about what message you got, in what situation, with
what tool and with *what FreeBSD version*.

Additionally, please be more attentive when filing PRs, your report does not seem
to be amd64-specific.

-- 
Andriy Gapon
Comment 2 vermaden 2012-11-23 05:59:40 UTC
> Additionally, please be more attentive when filing PRs, your report does not seem
> to be amd64-specific.

So the question is, why keep dead links if one sed command can switch them to working equivalents? ( no matter if they are regression tools or end-user tools)

About the category, there is no ZFS or FS category, so I thought that as I use amd64 it would be a good idea, it wasn't.

Could You tell me which category should I choose next time with filesystem or ZFS problem? kern?

Regards,
vermaden
Comment 3 Andriy Gapon freebsd_committer 2012-11-23 07:51:02 UTC
on 23/11/2012 07:59 vermaden said the following:
> So the question is, why keep dead links if one sed command can switch them to
> working equivalents?

Please first answer all the questions that I asked.

-- 
Andriy Gapon
Comment 4 Andriy Gapon freebsd_committer 2012-11-23 07:56:58 UTC
on 23/11/2012 07:59 vermaden said the following:
> Could You tell me which category should I choose next time with filesystem or
> ZFS problem? kern?

If you see a problem with a kernel side of ZFS or a generic ZFS problem - then,
yes, 'kern'.
If it is with a specific userland utility, then 'bin' would be better.
If it is with any ZFS documentation, then 'doc'.
If it is arch-specific, e.g. a problem occurs on i386 but not on amd64 or vice
versa, then either 'i386' or 'amd64' or etc.

-- 
Andriy Gapon
Comment 5 vermaden 2012-11-23 11:27:25 UTC
"Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>:
> on 23/11/2012 07:59 vermaden said the following:
> > Could You tell me which category should I choose next time
> > with filesystem or ZFS problem? kern?
> 
> If you see a problem with a kernel side of ZFS or a generic ZFS
> problem - then, yes, 'kern'.
> If it is with a specific userland utility, then 'bin' would be
> better.
> If it is with any ZFS documentation, then 'doc'.
> If it is arch-specific, e.g. a problem occurs on i386 but not on
> amd64 or vice versa, then either 'i386' or 'amd64' or etc.

Ok, thanks for clarification, so I assume, that this one would go
under 'bin' as this is a message from an userland utility.

"Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>:
> on 23/11/2012 07:59 vermaden said the following:
> > So the question is, why keep dead links if one sed
> > command can switch them to working equivalents?
> 
> Please first answer all the questions that I asked.

The FreeBSD version is 9.0-STABLE built from sources
from about 9.1-RC3, here is the exact uname -a message:

FreeBSD e6400.domain.com 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0 r243107: Fri Nov 16 07:41:05 CET 2012    root@e6400.domain.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Regards,
vermaden
Comment 6 Andriy Gapon freebsd_committer 2012-11-23 11:36:07 UTC
on 23/11/2012 13:27 vermaden said the following:
> "Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>:
>> Please first answer all the questions that I asked.
> 
> The FreeBSD version is 9.0-STABLE built from sources
> from about 9.1-RC3, here is the exact uname -a message:
> 
> FreeBSD e6400.domain.com 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0 r243107: Fri Nov 16 07:41:05 CET 2012    root@e6400.domain.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I'll quote my questions again:

> You could be more specific about what message you got, in what situation, with
> what tool and with *what FreeBSD version*.

So you answered only the last of them.
Why is it so difficult to be cooperative with developers?
Especially when I you'd like to get some work done by them.

-- 
Andriy Gapon
Comment 7 vermaden 2012-11-24 16:05:58 UTC
"Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>:
> So you answered only the last of them.
> Why is it so difficult to be cooperative with developers?
> Especially when I you'd like to get some work done by them.
> 
> -- 
> Andriy Gapon

I found that article:
http://blog.alainodea.com/en/article/440/experiments-with-zfs-failure-modes-and-autogrowth

and I recall that FreeBSD zpool always referenced to the
htttp://www.sun.com/msg/... so I checked what is in the
FreeBSD source and found a lot references to the old and
not working htttp://www.sun.com/msg/... domain. So I
willed that PR, so the non-working domain would be
changed to the working one.

I did not get any errors. did not got any error message etc.

Regards,
vermaden
Comment 8 Andriy Gapon freebsd_committer 2012-11-24 18:57:17 UTC
on 24/11/2012 18:05 vermaden said the following:

> I found that article:
> http://blog.alainodea.com/en/article/440/experiments-with-zfs-failure-modes-and-autogrowth
> 
> and I recall that FreeBSD zpool always referenced to the
> htttp://www.sun.com/msg/... so I checked what is in the
> FreeBSD source and found a lot references to the old and
> not working htttp://www.sun.com/msg/... domain. So I
> willed that PR, so the non-working domain would be
> changed to the working one.
> 
> I did not get any errors. did not got any error message etc.

Oh, I see.  Thank you for the explanation.
As far as I understand the situation, the end-users should not get any messages
with the incorrect URLs with recent versions of FreeBSD.

We indeed should fix all the occurrences of sun.com URLs in our sources, but
it's not clear if it's best to do that directly or through vendor imports from
Illumos.  This is really a low-priority task because some of the occurrences are
not used at all.

-- 
Andriy Gapon
Comment 9 Mark Linimon freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2012-12-03 04:48:26 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: freebsd-amd64->freebsd-fs

reclassify.
Comment 10 Eitan Adler freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2017-12-31 08:01:02 UTC
For bugs matching the following criteria:

Status: In Progress Changed: (is less than) 2014-06-01

Reset to default assignee and clear in-progress tags.

Mail being skipped
Comment 11 Allan Jude freebsd_committer 2018-05-24 12:40:22 UTC
It looks like all of the messages have been fixed upstream.

At least one of those was not merged into FreeBSD yet though. I'll look at doing that.
Comment 12 vermaden 2018-05-24 12:47:18 UTC
(In reply to Allan Jude from comment #11)

Looks like a lot it still there:

# grep -r 'sun.com/msg' /usr/src 
/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/os/fm.c:static const char *fm_url = "http://www.sun.com/msg";
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/mirror.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz1.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/os/fm.c:static const char *fm_url = "http://www.sun.com/msg";
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz1.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/mirror.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/log.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"
/usr/src/usr/src/tools/regression/zfs/zpool/replace/raidz2.t:  echo "   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J"

Regards.
Comment 13 vermaden 2018-05-24 12:47:34 UTC
This was for 11.2-BETA2 sources.
Comment 14 vermaden 2019-07-16 11:36:09 UTC
As FreeBSD will base on ZoL now its pointless to keep that open.