- Had a working 8.0-RELEASE installation on my network gateway. Decided to make a fresh install with 9.1-RELEASE i386.
- Started install: onboard LAN died. Switch won't light up the 1GB light and re0 cannot get IP from DHCP. (onboard NIC, Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet)
- Did ton of reinstalls, tried tricks with bios, ifconfig etc.
- Finally tested amd64 version of the 9.1-RELEASE, lights from LAN-port died and even switch won't show a light telling the cable is there.
- i386 and amd64 versions both keep on telling that the status is "no carrier" while cable is just like it has always been.
- Decided to install Windows Vista home premium, but Windows kept telling "device cannot start (code 10)", but after installing latest Realtek-drivers the LAN came back to life. Everything works perfectly and 1GB light is showing at the switch.
- Tried reinstalling 9.1-RELEASE i386: LAN died again.
- Took uname -a
- Installed Vista and latest drivers again, LAN came alive again.
- Started installing 8.4-RELEASE i386: LAN works like a charm.
Seems there is a problem with the re driver in 9.1-RELEASE. I asked help for my problems at the freebsd-forums. Thread can be found at: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=228061
How-To-Repeat: Install 9.1-RELEASE
reassign to yongari, he did a lot of work on the if_re driver.
For bugs matching the following criteria:
Status: In Progress Changed: (is less than) 2014-06-01
Reset to default assignee and clear in-progress tags.
Mail being skipped
Is it still broken on the recent RELEASE / 13.0-CURRENT