Bug 191296 - x11/xdm fails to start xfce4
Summary: x11/xdm fails to start xfce4
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: --- Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-xfce (Nobody)
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on: 211624
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-06-23 04:39 UTC by Otacílio de Araújo Ramos Neto
Modified: 2016-08-30 17:59 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments
With this patch, xdm works again. (474 bytes, patch)
2014-06-23 04:39 UTC, Otacílio de Araújo Ramos Neto
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Otacílio de Araújo Ramos Neto 2014-06-23 04:39:07 UTC
Created attachment 144053 [details]
With this patch, xdm works again.

When loging on xfce4 from xdm, after login the xfce4 don't runs and xdm is back again.
Comment 1 Olivier Duchateau freebsd_committer 2014-06-23 17:13:34 UTC
If you use Xfce, you should rather use x11/slim or x11/gdm. Consolekit is required for xfce4-session.
Comment 2 Mikhail T. 2014-11-19 13:56:55 UTC
Oliver, xdm is a perfectly cable login-manager and there is no reason xfce4 should not be working with it.

The solution is proposed here:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8841

Following the example given over there, I modified my own ~/.xsession to initialize dbus before launching startxfce4:

if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]
then
        eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi
exec ...... startxfce4

With the above work-around, I am able to login now, but the xfce4 port should have a new patch added as a fix to make work-around unnecessary.
Comment 3 Jean-Sébastien Pédron freebsd_committer 2015-01-14 23:02:45 UTC
The following comments were lost with the 2015-01-07 Bugzilla incident:

Jean-Sébastien Pédron:
> What is the status of this? Is the solution proposed by Mikhail working for
> everybody?

Olivier Duchateau:
> In work in progress Xfce's FAQ [1], [2], there's solution (workaround, question
> #2) if someone wants to use Xdm with Xfce.

> I won't patch xinitrc, because it breaks session and other applications
> targeted 4.11. Xfce works fine with polkit, (even sysutils/polkit is not good
> shape). Patch pointed by Mikhail is xinitrc used with Xfce <= 4.8, and it's not
> approved by upstream.
>
> [1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D1305
> [2]
> https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/xfce4/doc/head/en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs/xfce/

Jean-Sébastien Pédron:
> Should this bug assigned to the Xfce team then? So you can close it when D1305
> is committed.

Mikhail T.:
>> I won't patch xinitrc, because it breaks session and other applications
>> targeted 4.11.
>
> I'm sorry, I can not understand the above. Are you talking about the
> etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc?
>
> Maybe, the same hack can be placed into the startxfce4 script itself?
>
>> not approved by upstream.
>
> Well, it is not rejected by upstream either :-)

Olivier Duchateau:
> Yes, I'm talking about /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc file. Xdm needs this
> file.
>
> I disagree to modify startxfce4 script. The best solution is to modify
> $HOME/.xinitrc only.
>
> In the FAQ, there's part how to launch Xfce, and even with SLiM and non UTF-8
> encoding .xinitrc must be changed.

Olivier Duchateau:
> Re-assign to the Xfce team
Comment 4 otacilio.neto 2016-06-21 14:28:41 UTC
This can work also. Edit the file 

/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config

And add this line:

DisplayManager*authName:        MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
Comment 5 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2016-08-30 17:59:03 UTC
See PR#211624 for the fix.