(1) In section 25.6.3:
For the bootloader, one can use the flag -S115200 in /boot.config to set the speed instead of recompiling.
(2) In section 25.6.3:
The listed set of commands to rebuild the bootloader failed to work on new install of FreeBSD 10.3. I had to do the following:
MKOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj make obj depend all
MKOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj make install
I'm not terribly familiar with the ins and outs of the world makefiles so maybe there is a better way than this. Regardless, the instructions in the handbook are wrong and result in a build failure.
(3) It would be helpful to add a subsection on how to use a different serial port such as COM2.
The steps I figured out to do this are:
1. Search dmesg for the port number of the desired serial port (0x2f8 for COM2 usuallt)
2. Bootloader: Rebuild with BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=0x2f8. There does not appear to be a command line option for this in /boot.config.
3. Console: Recompile loader with BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=0x2f8 or specify comconsole_port=0x2f8 in /boot/loader.conf
4. Login: Enable the console for /dev/ttyu1 in /etc/ttys