Created attachment 177922 [details]
add missing parameters when creating a FreeBSD image for OpenStack
This patch adds the following functionality to the FreeBSD OpenStack image:
- resize FreeBSD to the size of the OpenStack flavor (growfs).
- speeds up the boot process by disabling sendmail.
- allows an user to ssh as root with a public key.
- make ssh respond faster by disabling DNS lookups (can be reverted).
- enable DHCP on the vtnet interface.
This will generate a qcow2 image with 1.4G in size. The entire process uses the release(7) toolchain to generate the image and should work with newer versions of FreeBSD. Tested with 11.0-RELEASE-p1 and also tested on OpenStack Mitaka.
To generate your own image:
1. Follow the regular process of build(7) - buildworld buildkernel
2. cd /usr/src/release
3. make cloudware-release WITH_CLOUDWARE=yes CLOUDWARE=OPENSTACK VMIMAGE=2G
relates to: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=213396
A commit references this bug:
Date: Wed Dec 14 03:01:16 UTC 2016
New revision: 310047
- Resize FreeBSD to the size of the OpenStack flavor (growfs).
- Speeds up the boot process by disabling sendmail.
- Allows an user to ssh as root with a public key.
- Make ssh(1) respond faster by disabling DNS lookups.
- Enable DHCP on the vtnet(4) interface.
Note: The CLOUDWARE list has not yet been changed to include the
OpenStack target by default yet.
Submitted by: Diego Casati
MFC after: 1 week
Sponsored by: The FreeBSD Foundation
Thank you for the patch.
I want to look at a better way to make the OpenStack images different size before enabling these image builds again (PR 213396). Something in your patch gave me an idea.
batch change of PRs untouched in 2018 marked "in progress" back to open.