After upgrading dns/dnsmasq (2.76,1 -> 2.77_1,1), I found that SRV records related to my local XMPP server were not being served.
When querying '_xmpp-server._tcp.domain.com' there is no result.
I found that querying 'xmpp-server.tcp.domain.com' I got the result I was expecting, so somewhere the underscores are being removed.
This only happens when the IDN or NLS options are set. If no IDN support is enabled, dnsmasq works properly.
...with a relevant change being the move from libidn to libidn2.
I have little time to debug this and have just forwarded it to the the developer's mailing list, dnsmasq-discuss, see http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/dnsmasq-discuss and in particular http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2017q3/011620.html
This has been overcome by events, the consumed libidn2 library, as of its release 2.0.3, fixes this issue:
I will seek ports-secteam@'s permission to MFH the libidn2 update
The upgrade of 2.76 to 2.77 is not to blame, I made the switch from libidn to libidn2 at the same time when updating dnsmasq and thus inherited libidn's regression between the 1.x and 2.0.2 that was current at the time this report got filed.
Need to MFH 446595 and 447146 of dns/libidn2 to 2017Q3
MFH'd to 2017Q3 as r448147: