Created attachment 189454 [details]
Patches to partition editor to make ESP
This is a top-level bug for installer support for "new-style" UEFI booting in which loader.efi lives on the ESP.
I am aware as of Jan. 5 of the following issues:
- Installer needs to make/use a real ESP instead of dd'ing boot1.efifat. Patch attached that makes or reuses one and mounts it at /efi.
- Installer needs to extract loader.efi to do. This is easily accomplished by setting it to install to /efi/efi/blah. Two caveats:
- This might break the upgrade path for people using boot1.efi.
- Scripted installs are currently broken in this configuration as a result of a bug in bsdtar when tarballs are extracted with directory entries that including FAT mountpoints and creation/modification time setting is on. Interactive installs are unaffected as we have a private libarchive frontend in the installer that works around the issue.
- Installer needs to run efibootmgr in the "bsdinstall bootconfig" step.
One issue too is that people upgrading may have ultra-super-tiny ESPs due to unwise choices in the past.
SuperMicro, and others, require additional hacking to get the boot order to do the right thing above and beyond efibootmgr.