--- ab ---
ab.o: In function `main':
ab.c:(.text+0x88a): undefined reference to `SSLv2_client_method'
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [ab] Error code 1
Here is the scenario:
1. FreeBSD 11.1 user has security/openssl installed like openssl-1.0.x compiled with default OPTIONS that include SSLv2 knob enabled.
2. User has DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl in the /etc/make.conf
3. User tries to build www/apache24 port verion 2.4.33 and build fails with messages quoted above.
ktrace(1) shows that linker does not even try to use libssl.so installed by port but links "ab" with base /usr/lib/libssl.so that has no SSLv2_client_method symbol.
Apache Benckmark "ab" conditionally compiles call to SSLv2_client_method() depending on OPENSSL_NO_SSL2 define that is not present in the openssl port's headers if built with default OPTIONS.
So, there is nasty bug when build uses openssl port's headers with base system's openssl library.
A commit references this bug:
Date: Fri Mar 30 15:04:38 UTC 2018
New revision: 465978
www/apache24: Fix ssl linking issues
- Remove -L/usr/lib from LDFLAGS 
- Remove non-working show-modules target
- Use new style patch filenames
PR: 227108 
With hat: apache
Submitted by: mat 
Reported by: eugen 
Thanks mat, eugen!