Bug 238516 - emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions: Shared folder does not update consistently
Summary: emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions: Shared folder does not update consistently
Status: New
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: amd64 Any
: --- Affects Many People
Assignee: vbox
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-06-12 08:59 UTC by bioli
Modified: 2019-06-12 08:59 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
bugzilla: maintainer-feedback? (vbox)


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description bioli 2019-06-12 08:59:27 UTC
Using FreeBSD 12.0 64-bit guest OS on a Windows 10 system.
The following packages were installed with pkg:

* virtualbox-ose-additions-nox11
* apache24

I created a shared folder and mounted it with mount_vboxvfs.

The shared folder was set as the root of Apache's documents.

From FreeBSD, I could easily add and edit files that would be served by the web server, Apache.

However, from the host OS side (Windows), there was an issue. I could create new files and those would be served properly. But when I edited a file, it did not update. A web browser displayed the old version. I noticed unusual behavior when trying to diagnose the issue.

Using index.html as an example:

* Editing from the guest OS worked and reloading the page in my browser showed the changes

* Editing from the host OS and reloading the page did *not* show the changes

From the guest OS, I tried:

1. cat index.html: This showed the changes but a page reload still did not show them

2. vi index.html: I could see the changes. I did not make further changes and quit without saving. Reloading the page showed the old version

3. nano index.html: Once again, I could see the new version. I closed without saving but this time, reloading the page *did* show the new version

I repeated this several times. Loading the page with nano (but not making changes or re-saving) always resulted in the web page being updated the next time I hit refresh in the browser. "cat" and "vi" did not affect anything.

So, there seems to be some problem. I suspect it has to do with the guest utilities because of the very strange behavior exhibited in the cat, vi, nano tests.