Bug 238558 - Correctly use BASEDIR when checking for src component in freebsd-update
Summary: Correctly use BASEDIR when checking for src component in freebsd-update
Status: New
Alias: None
Product: Base System
Classification: Unclassified
Component: misc (show other bugs)
Version: CURRENT
Hardware: Any Any
: --- Affects Many People
Assignee: freebsd-bugs mailing list
URL:
Keywords: patch
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-06-14 06:31 UTC by Waqar Ahmed
Modified: 2019-07-14 19:15 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Waqar Ahmed 2019-06-14 06:31:15 UTC
When updating base system to the latest patch level using "freebsd-update", we encounter an error with it not correctly performing source checks as outlined by this PR I did - https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/pull/404. This ticket is for reference so this can be tracked in freebsd's official bug tracker.
Comment 1 Christoph Kliemann 2019-07-14 15:06:41 UTC
Might I add that config_Components is never called.
COMPONENTS is initialised when config_Components is sourced.

Is this intended?

Additionally config_Components should check the "kernel" component.
That way users could update jails without a custom freebsd-update.conf (or warnings regarding missing kernel directories).
Let me know if I should open a separate feature request for this.
Comment 2 Christoph Kliemann 2019-07-14 15:11:54 UTC
Found the function call, please disregard.
Comment 3 Waqar Ahmed 2019-07-14 17:02:47 UTC
Hello Christoph, can you please confirm if you still require something from my end ?
Also when can i expect this to be reviewed ?
Thank you!
Comment 4 Christoph Kliemann 2019-07-14 19:15:23 UTC
Sorry, I'm not a FreeBSD developer.

Here is a list of current FreeBSD developers:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/staff-committers.html

It may take some time.
Keep in mind that the git repository is a readonly mirror.
Providing your patch as an attachment created with svn diff or diff as described in the documentation might help.

See 4.3. Attaching Patches or Files:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/pr-writing.html#pr-writing-attaching-patches

There are limited resources and this might not be a high priority issue.
Potential workaround: 
You could use a custom freebsd-update.conf and remove src from the Components line until this is resolved.

More information on the FreeBSD problem report process:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/

More information on how FreeBSD problem reports are handled:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pr-guidelines/article.html

All that said: I have the same issue. Thats why I wrote a comment. :)