Bug 239768 - print/fontforge: Update to 20190801
Summary: print/fontforge: Update to 20190801
Status: Open
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: --- Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-ports-bugs mailing list
URL: https://github.com/fontforge/fontforg...
Keywords: needs-patch, needs-qa
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-08-10 22:28 UTC by kunda
Modified: 2019-08-23 03:11 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
koobs: maintainer-feedback? (cyberbotx)


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Comment 1 Kubilay Kocak freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2019-08-11 02:56:47 UTC
Standout notes from changelog (please review them all)

Python 2 support is deprecated. It is strongly recommended to build with Python 3 support. Python 2 support will be removed in a future release.

FontForge no longer uses gnulib

The build system now expects libuninameslist to be present, and will fail if it is not found. Building without libuninameslist must be explcititly specified using --without-libuninameslist
Comment 2 Naram Qashat 2019-08-18 20:49:54 UTC
So I'm finally getting around to looking into this and it'll take me some time. They moved from autotools to CMake for their build system as well.

I'm also wondering if I should make more things optional in the port instead of forcing them as is currently being done. Examples of what could be optional now:

* libspiro
* libuninameslist (as described by koobs)
* giflib
* jpeg
* png
* readline
* tiff

Also the 'tile path' command (formerly using the --enable-tile-path flag to configure) could be optional instead of forced.

The GUI toolkit can be chosen between either a GTK3-based one or one that uses plain X11 (or even disabling it which I think would only give command-line tools).

Making cairo optional seems to no longer be a thing (only required by fontforge itself when not using GTK3).

There's an option for Fontforge's native scripting, not sure if that should be an option in the port.

The changes are listed here:

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/wiki/CMake-guide-for-FontForge

And for reference, the previous version's configure.ac:

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/blob/20190413/configure.ac

So before going forward, I'd like advice on how to proceed with such a big change. Most likely to keep the port's packaging somewhat consistent, I'd set the above points as default options.
Comment 3 Kubilay Kocak freebsd_committer freebsd_triage 2019-08-23 03:11:54 UTC
(In reply to Naram Qashat from comment #2)

Make then OPTION'al, but leave them in OPTIONS_DEFAULT to make the changes a NOOP in the immediate term, until there is a better sense / idea of what can/should be made default/non-default in a separate issue

^Triage: Leave maintainer-feedback ? as we're still pending QA/patches