Created attachment 208419 [details]
log of kstart5 plasmashell
- FreeBSD 12.0
- Update of kf5 to 5.63.0 yesterday using portmaster
- On next login (with intervening reboot), the last step of the initial plasma startup wait box takes a long time
- Then the screen shows
. nothing (for a user with an empty home directory)
. a restored xterm and xload (for a user which had this running on the last logout/shutdown)
- The screen also shows the cursor
- Start typing in the background screen
- A box appears, use it to start an xterm
- In the xterm, type 'kstart5 plasmashell > /tmp/kstart5.plasmashell.log 2>&1'
- The plasma desktop starts
- However, the 'Favorites' and 'Applications' menus of the application launcher ("start button") are completely empty
- When opening, e.g., dolphin via the command line, the system does not know any file associations and for each clicked file prompts asking which program to use to open it
- The (attached) logfile shows issues which seem to corroborate these observations
Btw, I am using an nvidia graphics card with the latest driver (from ports).
Just tried it on another machine which was updated yesterday and which is not using nvidia (old radeon card). The same result happens: blank screen with cursor.
An xterm can be started (from another console after switching to it using ctl-alt-Fn), and from there again the 'kstart5 plasmashell', which exhibits mostly the same output.
From #kde-freebsd on IRC, this could be https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=413130
Can you extend your .xinitrc to set the following variables (prior to the 'exec ... ' line).
Created attachment 208420 [details]
XDG environment variable before applying comment #4
Thank you, this fixed it.
See the attached file for how the XDG environment variables looked before this change (using the command "env | grep XDG").
Created attachment 208421 [details]
Could you remove the variables again and try with a recompiled plasma5-plasma-workspace with applied patch?
Created attachment 208422 [details]
Possible Fix v2
Sorry, forgot to define KDE_INSTALL_FULL_CONFDIR in the previous patch...
A commit references this bug:
Date: Sat Oct 19 17:12:26 UTC 2019
New revision: 514822
x11/plasma5-plasma-workspace: setup XDG_CONFIG_DIRS on startup if not set
In prior versions of KDE's Plasma Desktop we set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS in the startkde
shellscript. Plasma 5.17 changed to a binary for this process and that variable
therefore was no longer set for most people (unless manually done so in their
environment / .xinitrc file, like me...).
With this patch the variable is now again setup, startplasma should be able to
bring up the whole shell again.
Reported by: Martin Birgmeier
Thank you for the fix, I did not find the time yet to apply it, but since you already committed it you seem to be sure it works. :-)
One question though: How does Linux do this?
Post scriptum: I installed the new plasma port and removed the settings of XGD_* from .xinintrc. As expected everything works.