Bug 241543 - multimedia/vlc: built in subtitles in mkv can't be decoded
Summary: multimedia/vlc: built in subtitles in mkv can't be decoded
Status: New
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: --- Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-multimedia mailing list
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-10-28 15:36 UTC by skrech
Modified: 2019-10-28 23:10 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description skrech 2019-10-28 15:36:23 UTC
Hello,

I have FreeBSD 12.0 (amd64) with KDE5.
My version of VLC is latest from ports - 3.0.8.

When I open .mkv file and try to enable the built in subtitles in the mkv file VLC outputs the following:

Unidentified codec:
VLC could not identify the audio or video codec


When I start the movie from the command line the following is printed on stdout:
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
[00000008008e4060] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0000000800922160] mkv demux error: cannot find KaxSegment or missing mandatory KaxInfo
[0000000800922360] main demux error: option sub-original-fps does not exist
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
[00000008157f6560] glconv_vaapi_x11 gl error: vaInitialize: unknown libva error
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
[00000008157f6560] glconv_vaapi_drm gl error: vaInitialize: unknown libva error
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=radeonsi
[00000008157f6560] glconv_vaapi_drm gl error: vaInitialize: operation failed
Failed to open VDPAU backend Shared object "libvdpau_radeonsi.so" not found, required by "vlc"


I'm dual booting FreeBSD with Ubuntu for sanity check and the same file with the same version of VLC on Ubuntu is playing the subtitles fine. DragonPlayer and Xine (on FreeBSD) are showing the subtitles fine. So, the problem should be something in the VLC build for FreeBSD.
Comment 1 skrech 2019-10-28 15:39:31 UTC
One more thing:
When I load external subtitles, they work fine. 

Also, the files that I've tried all had SubRip type of subtitles. I've checked it with "ffmpeg -i filename" command.