I am on FreeBSD 12.1 amd64. Yesterday I installed the chromium package. On starting Chromium, I signed in to my Google account and turned on sync. But the browser failed to sync my passwords/theme/extensions.
Today, I deleted the chromium package. Then I updated my ports tree and built the www/chromium port. But the browser still fails to sync.
To be double sure that this is a FreeBSD issue, I booted into Linux Mint and installed chromium-browser. On turning on sync, the browser immediately synced my passwords/theme/extensions.
I am seeing the same issue:
Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
truss output if it is helpful: