Bug 250130 - [patch] x11-toolkits/vte3 update to 0.62.0 broke mate-terminal
Summary: [patch] x11-toolkits/vte3 update to 0.62.0 broke mate-terminal
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: --- Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-gnome (Nobody)
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2020-10-05 04:52 UTC by rkoberman
Modified: 2020-10-09 21:58 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
bugzilla: maintainer-feedback? (gnome)


Attachments
patch to upgrade x11-toolkits/vte3 to 0.62.1 (1.36 KB, patch)
2020-10-07 02:41 UTC, rkoberman
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description rkoberman 2020-10-05 04:52:40 UTC
After update of fribidi to , mate-terminal fails with seven repetitions of:
(mate-terminal:45583): VTE-CRITICAL **: 14:04:47.253: void vte_terminal_match_set_cursor_type(VteTerminal *, int, GdkCursorType): assertion 'tag >= 0' failed

The failure occurs after fribidi and vte3 are updated tp 1.0.10 and 0.62.0, respectively. No change to mate-terminal, itself.

x11/roxterm works with the updated fribidi and vte3. roxterm has not been updated (except for the -fno-common issue) since before the glib20 update. Still, it looks like an issue between vte3-62 and fribidi-1.0.10 triggered by some cursor related call.
Comment 1 rkoberman 2020-10-07 02:41:04 UTC
Created attachment 218579 [details]
patch  to upgrade x11-toolkits/vte3 to 0.62.1

Patch to x11-toolkits/vte3 to correct error when used by mate-terminal.
Comment 2 Baptiste Daroussin freebsd_committer 2020-10-09 21:18:28 UTC
I took the upgrade, but I won't mfh it as on 2 different boxes I didn't experience the issue you had with mate-terminal. If someone else also repo than I will MFH it.
Comment 3 commit-hook freebsd_committer 2020-10-09 21:19:03 UTC
A commit references this bug:

Author: bapt
Date: Fri Oct  9 21:18:11 UTC 2020
New revision: 551830
URL: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/551830

Log:
  update to 0.62.1

  PR:		250130
  Submitted by:	rkoberman@gmail.com

Changes:
  head/x11-toolkits/vte3/Makefile
  head/x11-toolkits/vte3/distinfo
  head/x11-toolkits/vte3/pkg-plist
Comment 4 rkoberman 2020-10-09 21:58:23 UTC
(In reply to Baptiste Daroussin from comment #2)
I believe that the failure I saw was due to my customized configuration and most will not see it. It involved a gtk3 routine to set the cursor dependent on its location. That routine was deprecated some time ago but was only replaced in vte3 recently.

Unless someone else hits the problem, I see no likelihood that many will see it.

Thanks for the commit, in any case!