Created attachment 224084 [details]
The current version in Ports is really, really old. It also has a runtime dependency on docutils, which actually is only used to build the documentation files.
Thanks for the patch! But it seems incomplete, the new portversion 2.3.0 is missing. Could you update the patch, please.
Created attachment 224087 [details]
Whoops. Sorry about that. Here's a fixed patch.
Created attachment 224090 [details]
logfile of failed Poudriere build
When I build your patched port outside of Poudriere it builds fine, but within Poudriere it fails (log file attached).
One of the problems complained about seem to be import_metadata. The ports version devel/py-importlib-metadata (not listed in Makefile as dependency until now) is at v3.3.0, py-daemon wants >= v3.6.0 ...
But I am afraid this is not the only problem. On  there are some other dependencies listed, which are not yet mentioned in the port.
Could you investigate please, what is going on here? Thanks in advance :)
I've also built the port in Poudriere and it worked against Python 3.9. Seem's like the import_metadata stuff is included in Python 3.8 and up , so that might we why I didn't catch that. I'll see about this tomorrow...
Created attachment 224103 [details]
Turns out the real culprit is actually security/py-keyring (one of the dependencies of devel/py-twine) which in version 23.0.1 brings in that dependency:
cd /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages; grep -r importlib_metadata .
See also . That dependency specification is missing in the Port. The older version 18.0.1 from 2021Q1 didn't have that dependency. That's where I tested my Ports and why they worked for me.
The easy way out would be to actually drop devel/py-twine from the build dependencies. And why wouldn't you:
~/python-daemon-2.3.0 grep -ri twine .
./ChangeLog:* Declare Twine as a build dependency.
Well... possibly the author of python-daemon has a different definition of build dependency than FreeBSD Ports and myself. Using twine to upload to PyPI is not build dependency IMHO, but well...
Updated my Patch again. This time tested on main with Python 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9.
A commit in branch main references this bug:
Author: Florian Wagner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
AuthorDate: 2021-05-08 11:02:29 +0000
Commit: Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@FreeBSD.org>
CommitDate: 2021-05-08 11:12:51 +0000
devel/py-daemon: Update to 2.3.0
Approved by: maintainer timeout (> 3 weeks)
devel/py-daemon/Makefile | 12 ++++++------
devel/py-daemon/distinfo | 5 +++--
devel/py-daemon/files/patch-setup.py (new) | 22 ++++++++++++++++++++++
3 files changed, 31 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)
Maintainer timeout (> 3 weeks)
security/py-keyring was downgraded to 18.0.1 , so no build problem any more :)