The environ(7) manpage is a bit stale.
The enclosed patch addresses the following issues:
1) Rationalize the use of the mdoc macros, particulary w.r.t.
misuses of .Dq and .Ar.
2) Some cleanup and expansion of the prose to (I hope) make it
a bit easier to read.
3) Move the descriptions of the environment variables into
the ENVIRONMENT section of the manpage.
4) Clean up the references in SEE ALSO to only include those manpages
that directly address relevant environment issues.
5) Remove the entry for PWD, as it's very shell specific and cannot
be relied upon in general.
6) Remove the entry for LANG. It's superseded by the LC_*
variables, and isn't referenced by any of the system manpages
under 4.7-RC. A grep through /usr/src for references to LANG
shows that anything that does use it defers to LC_*.
7) Quite a few commonly referenced variables were added:
CC, COLUMNS, DISPLAY, FTP_PROXY, HOSTALIASES, HTTP_PROXY,
LC_*, LD, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LINES, LOCALDOMAIN, LOGNAME,
MANPATH, NNTPSERVER, ORGANIZATION, POSIXLY_CORRECT,
That list is a bit arbitrary, but I tried to pick those that
are common to several commands, or are just plain useful to
know about. I avoided anything specific to just one command
(but left EXINIT in anyway).
8) Remove the "warning" text at the end. It didn't really say
anything useful, and made reference to a number of variables
that were not described in the manpage to begin with.
Move this to the right category, and assign it to me.
I will take care of this in the near future.
Give this PR to the most talented, Simon Nielson (simon@) :-)
Throw this back in the pool since I don't see me having time to rework
this patch enough so it can be comitted any time soon.
Note that some of the additions suggested in the patch have already
been in environ(7) for quite a while.
For bugs matching the following criteria:
Status: In Progress Changed: (is less than) 2014-06-01
Reset to default assignee and clear in-progress tags.
Mail being skipped