Bug 82397 - [New Category + ports] rubygems for FreeBSD
Summary: [New Category + ports] rubygems for FreeBSD
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: Normal Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-ports-bugs (Nobody)
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2005-06-18 22:50 UTC by Jonathan Weiss
Modified: 2005-07-20 15:17 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments
file.diff (241.83 KB, patch)
2005-06-18 22:50 UTC, Jonathan Weiss
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Jonathan Weiss 2005-06-18 22:50:14 UTC
I integrated rubygems (s.t. similar to Perl/CPAN and PHP/Pear for Ruby) in the ports tree. There is already a devel/ruby-gems port that allows you to install gems manually. This patch makes gems available through the ports system.

I created a new category, rubygem, and a Makefile.common for the port deve/ruby-gems. This Makefile is used by the rubygem-* ports.

I also created the following ports that either are rubygems or depend on them:

databases/rubygem-activerecord
mail/rubygem-actionmailer
devel/rubygem-rake
devel/rubygem-activesupport
www/rubygem-actionpack
www/rubygem-rails
www/rubygem-actionwebservice
www/rubygem-redcloth
www/typo

Rubygems are not normal ruby-modules. A ruby library can be distributed as a module and/or a gem but they behaive slightly different. Some libraries or apps are only available as gems.

I tried several times (over 1 Month ago) to contact knu@freebsd.org but got no reaction.

Fix: Binary files orig_ports/INDEX.db and ports/INDEX.db differ
How-To-Repeat: 
Install the patch from:
http://blog.innerewut.de/files/gems.patch

The patch includes the diff to bsd.port.mk, Makefile.common to be copied into devel/ruby-gem and all the ports.
Comment 1 Pav Lucistnik freebsd_committer 2005-07-20 15:16:18 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->closed

New ports added, thanks! I did some stylistic modifications, most notably 
I changed version strings in plists with %%PORTVERSION%% to ease updating plists 
on upgrades. Another place where versions are hardcoded are dependency lines, 
that should get some attention. 

I haven't added new virtual category. I'm going to ask portmgr for it 
in separate PR.