Bug 89275 - [New ports] devel/mimir, lang/elan - Elan Programming Language
Summary: [New ports] devel/mimir, lang/elan - Elan Programming Language
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: Normal Affects Only Me
Assignee: freebsd-ports-bugs (Nobody)
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2005-11-19 12:50 UTC by Ed Schouten
Modified: 2005-12-27 21:15 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ed Schouten 2005-11-19 12:50:22 UTC
Elan is a programming language originally developed by the Technical
University of Berlin, but nowadays an implementation is maintained by
the Radboud University of Nijmegen.

We at TCCN learn youngsters how to program in this language. We
installed FreeBSD on one of our SPARC's some time ago, but Elan wasn't
in the Ports tree yet. That's why I made two ports. One for lang/elan,
the Elan compiler, and one for devel/mimir, a library the Elan compiler
uses.

More info about Elan:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan_programming_language

Fix: 

Download the 'devel/mimir' and 'lang/elan' ports from:

	http://g-rave.nl/files/ports/devel-mimir-lang-elan.tar.gz
How-To-Repeat: n/a
Comment 1 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-23 21:21:34 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->feedback

I get connection refused while trying to download the tarball. Could you 
maybe submit the ports as shar's in a new PR? See: 
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/porting-submitting.html
Comment 2 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-24 10:08:47 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: freebsd-ports-bugs->ehaupt

Take.
Comment 3 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-25 15:23:35 UTC
according to the project site of lang/elan, this port seems to be
restricted to non commecial use only thus we have to set RESTRICTED. is
the library devel/mimir distributed under the same conditions? could you
maybe provide an english page (WWW) for devel/mimir? the pkg-descr of
devel/mimir seems a bit too short. the packing list for devel/mimir is
not complete. Please integrate the new USE_AUTOTOOLS vars [1]. A second
master site for each port would be nice. Thanks in advance.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~ade/autotools.txt
Comment 4 Ed Schouten 2005-11-25 15:34:33 UTC
Hello Emanuel,

* Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> according to the project site of lang/elan, this port seems to be
> restricted to non commecial use only thus we have to set RESTRICTED. is
> the library devel/mimir distributed under the same conditions? could
> you maybe provide an english page (WWW) for devel/mimir?


I'm not sure; I know it is developed by the same author. I'll probably
see one of the Elan developers this evening, so I'll ask. The website is
thus the same as the Elan site.

> the pkg-descr of devel/mimir seems a bit too short. the packing list
> for devel/mimir is not complete. Please integrate the new
> USE_AUTOTOOLS vars [1]. A second master site for each port would be
> nice. Thanks in advance.


I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Yours,
-- 
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/
Comment 5 Ed Schouten 2005-11-25 19:40:31 UTC
Hello,

* Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> according to the project site of lang/elan, this port seems to be
> restricted to non commecial use only thus we have to set RESTRICTED.


I just had a chat with Marc (the main developer of Elan and Mimir) on
IRC, couldn't see him in person because of the bad weather over here [1]
According to him, the Elan website is quite outdated and isn't
maintained by him; it only has documentation about the Elan programming
language. We'd better leave it as its homepage though; it is developed
by the same party and contains some useful documentation.

He also said that the code has no real license tied to it and can live
with a BSD license (I can supply IRC logs if needed), so we won't need
any distribution restrictions on these ports.

Unfortunately there are no mirrors for the Elan and Mimir tarballs.

The tarball with the ports has been updated.

Yours,
-- 
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/

[1] http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=EHNI
Comment 6 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-25 21:55:29 UTC
devel/mimir looks good now, thanks for the changes. lang/elan has still
some quirks:

- dependency list is incomplete:

===>   Compressing manual pages for elan-1.7b
===>   Running ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
===>   Registering installation for elan-1.7b
===>  Building package for elan-1.7b
Creating package /tmp/packages/All/elan-1.7b.tgz
Registering depends: mimir-2.14.
Creating gzip'd tar ball in '/tmp/packages/All/elan-1.7b.tgz'
Deleting elan-1.7b 
================================================================
Deleting mimir-2.14 libtool-1.3.5_2 libiconv-1.9.2_1 gmake-3.80_2 gettext-0.14.5 expat-1.95.8_3 

=== Checking filesystem state
list of extra files and directories in / (not present before this port was installed but present after it was deinstalled)
2012256    0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root             wheel                  12 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/lib/liberts.so -> liberts.so.1
2074612    4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root             wheel                 512 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/share/elan
2074606    4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root             wheel                 512 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/doc
================================================================

- documentation should be installed in ${DOCSDIR}
(${PREFIX}/share/doc/elan/),
  not in ${PREFIX}/doc

- documentation should be optional (honoring NOPORTDOCS)

About the license issue, the website still says:

--- quote http://www.cs.ru.nl/elan/ ---
The ELAN system developed at Nijmegen University is freely available for
non-commercial use, on an as-is basis. Requests for information and for
commercial licenses can be directed to
--- end quote http://www.cs.ru.nl/elan/ ---

If the author is willing to change the license we need to have this written somehere.
It would be best if the tarball contains a file declaring the license.
Comment 7 Ed Schouten 2005-11-25 22:43:06 UTC
* Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> - dependency list is incomplete:
> 
> ===>   Compressing manual pages for elan-1.7b
> ===>   Running ldconfig
> /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
> ===>   Registering installation for elan-1.7b
> ===>  Building package for elan-1.7b
> Creating package /tmp/packages/All/elan-1.7b.tgz
> Registering depends: mimir-2.14.
> Creating gzip'd tar ball in '/tmp/packages/All/elan-1.7b.tgz'
> Deleting elan-1.7b 
> ================================================================
> Deleting mimir-2.14 libtool-1.3.5_2 libiconv-1.9.2_1 gmake-3.80_2 gettext-0.14.5 expat-1.95.8_3 
> 
> === Checking filesystem state
> list of extra files and directories in / (not present before this port was installed but present after it was deinstalled)
> 2012256    0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root             wheel                  12 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/lib/liberts.so -> liberts.so.1
> 2074612    4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root             wheel                 512 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/share/elan
> 2074606    4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root             wheel                 512 Nov 25 22:08 usr/local/doc
> ================================================================
> 
> - documentation should be installed in ${DOCSDIR}
> (${PREFIX}/share/doc/elan/),
>   not in ${PREFIX}/doc
> 
> - documentation should be optional (honoring NOPORTDOCS)


Fixed; I also took the opportunity to make the documentation naming
somewhat more meaningful. I've updated the tarball.

> About the license issue, the website still says:
> 
> --- quote http://www.cs.ru.nl/elan/ ---
> The ELAN system developed at Nijmegen University is freely available for
> non-commercial use, on an as-is basis. Requests for information and for
> commercial licenses can be directed to
> --- end quote http://www.cs.ru.nl/elan/ ---
> 
> If the author is willing to change the license we need to have this written somehere.
> It would be best if the tarball contains a file declaring the license.


I guess we should change this PR's state to 'feedback' then; I'll
contact Marc. Maybe he can poke the website maintainer to add more
accurate info about its license.

Thanks for your patience.

Yours,
-- 
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/
Comment 8 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-29 09:53:16 UTC
State Changed
From-To: feedback->open

Waiting to clarify license issue. Release. 


Comment 9 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-11-29 09:53:16 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: ehaupt->freebsd-ports-bugs

Waiting to clarify license issue. Release.
Comment 10 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-12-01 12:39:43 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->feedback

Waiting to clarify license issue.
Comment 11 Ed Schouten 2005-12-10 23:48:36 UTC
* Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl> wrote:
> I guess we should change this PR's state to 'feedback' then; I'll
> contact Marc. Maybe he can poke the website maintainer to add more
> accurate info about its license.


I spoke to Marc yesterday. He told me that they are considering BSD or
GPL licensing it, but still restricting its commericial use.

Quite odd if you ask me; don't the BSD and GPL license state who might
and who might not use the product? Would that mean I could release a
product as GPL and say "only three legged people may use it" and still
conform to the GPL?

Yours,
-- 
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/
Comment 12 Emanuel Haupt freebsd_committer 2005-12-11 20:58:43 UTC
> * Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl> wrote:
> > I guess we should change this PR's state to 'feedback' then; I'll
> > contact Marc. Maybe he can poke the website maintainer to add more
> > accurate info about its license.
> 
> I spoke to Marc yesterday. He told me that they are considering BSD or
> GPL licensing it, but still restricting its commericial use.
> 
> Quite odd if you ask me; don't the BSD and GPL license state who might
> and who might not use the product? Would that mean I could release a
> product as GPL and say "only three legged people may use it" and still
> conform to the GPL?

No, this is not possible with either of the two licenses. As long as the
author clearly states that the software is free for non-commecial use
the port can be added with a remark in ports/LEGAL. 

Emanuel
-- 
GnuPG key id: 0x55E67774         Download: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371
Key fingerprint: 17B3 FD8F BA68 4AB4 10FD  A9D1 AD52 6588 55E6 7774
Comment 13 Edwin Groothuis freebsd_committer 2005-12-27 21:14:44 UTC
State Changed
From-To: feedback->closed

Commited, thanks! 

Can you send a follow-up PR in which any possible changes to 
ports/LEGAL have to be made with regarding to these two ports?