Bug 146458 - Update Port: editors/emacs to 23.2
Summary: Update Port: editors/emacs to 23.2
Status: Closed FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Ports & Packages
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Individual Port(s) (show other bugs)
Version: Latest
Hardware: Any Any
: Normal Affects Only Me
Assignee: Boris Samorodov
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2010-05-10 09:00 UTC by Ashish Shukla
Modified: 2010-05-19 13:00 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:


Attachments
file.diff (42.66 KB, patch)
2010-05-10 09:00 UTC, Ashish Shukla
no flags Details | Diff
bsd.emacs.mk.diff (366 bytes, patch)
2010-05-10 09:26 UTC, Ashish Shukla
no flags Details | Diff
emacs.diff (42.68 KB, patch)
2010-05-11 05:15 UTC, Ashish Shukla
no flags Details | Diff
emacs.diff (48.51 KB, patch)
2010-05-13 11:19 UTC, Ashish Shukla
no flags Details | Diff
emacs.diff (49.67 KB, patch)
2010-05-14 05:37 UTC, Ashish Shukla
no flags Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ashish Shukla 2010-05-10 09:00:14 UTC
Updating editors/emacs to v23.2.
Comment 1 Edwin Groothuis freebsd_committer 2010-05-10 09:00:33 UTC
Maintainer of editors/emacs,

Please note that PR ports/146458 has just been submitted.

If it contains a patch for an upgrade, an enhancement or a bug fix
you agree on, reply to this email stating that you approve the patch
and a committer will take care of it.

The full text of the PR can be found at:
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/146458

-- 
Edwin Groothuis via the GNATS Auto Assign Tool
edwin@FreeBSD.org
Comment 2 Edwin Groothuis freebsd_committer 2010-05-10 09:00:36 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->feedback

Awaiting maintainers feedback (via the GNATS Auto Assign Tool)
Comment 3 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-10 09:26:31 UTC
Sorry, I forgot to the attach the diff for ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.emacs.mk to
update the version of the updated port.

Thanks
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 4 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-11 05:15:45 UTC
Please discard the old diff for updating editors/emacs port and refer to the
attached diff, which also removes the dependency on autotools as reported by
Anonymous in the PR ports/143130. The diff to update
${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.emacs.mk is fine.

Thanks
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 5 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-13 11:19:14 UTC
Please discard the earlier editors/emacs diffs and instead use the attached
diff. In addition to fixing the issues reported by 'Anonymous', this diff also
fixes the issues mentioned in the PR ports/142035 by providing OPTIONS to
customize the build as much as possible.

Thanks
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 6 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-13 11:29:45 UTC
Hi,

I ran portlint on the updated editors/emacs port, and following is its output:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
% portlint -A 
WARN: Makefile: Consider adding support for a WITHOUT_NLS knob to conditionally disable gettext support.
WARN: Makefile: for new port, make $FreeBSD$ tag in comment section empty, to make CVS happy.
FATAL: Makefile: emacs-23.2 < emacs-23.1_6,1. Choose another PORTVERSION or bump PORTEPOCH.
1 fatal error and 2 warnings found.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It seems vulnerability database needs to be fixed. Or If not, then I'm not
sure about the usage of PORTEPOCH, so I've not added it in the diff. Let me
know if PORTEPOCH needs to be added, then I'll add it.

Thanks for your time.
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 7 swell.k 2010-05-13 14:55:05 UTC
wahjava@gmail.com (Ashish SHUKLA) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Please discard the earlier editors/emacs diffs and instead use the attached
> diff. In addition to fixing the issues reported by 'Anonymous', this diff also
> fixes the issues mentioned in the PR ports/142035 by providing OPTIONS to
> customize the build as much as possible.
>

I remember there are more options:
- athena 3d widgets via x11-toolkits/Xaw3d
- motif widgets via x11-tookits/open-motif
- sync-input
- toolkit-scrollbars
- sound, that may depend on alsa when it's installed, i.e. ports/145964
- gnustep

Didn't they work for you? Oh, and you can rename --with-x=no to --without-x.

> Thanks
Comment 8 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-13 16:40:59 UTC
Anonymous  writes:

[...]

> I remember there are more options:
> - athena 3d widgets via x11-toolkits/Xaw3d
> - motif widgets via x11-tookits/open-motif
> - sync-input
> - toolkit-scrollbars


Cool, I'll add those options, thanks for reminding. I'll post a new diff tomorrow. :)

> - sound, that may depend on alsa when it's installed, i.e. ports/145964


Okay, I'll try that. But, I never ever used sound in Emacs, not even in
GNU/Linux. Lets hope that works.

> - gnustep


GNUstep (aka -NS) support is buggy. And I never got it to compile successfully[1].

> Didn't they work for you? Oh, and you can rename --with-x=no to --without-x.


Yes, some of them worked for me, but not every option, e.g. gnustep
support.

References:
[1]  http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5750

Thanks
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 9 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-14 05:37:04 UTC
> [...]

>> I remember there are more options:
>> - athena 3d widgets via x11-toolkits/Xaw3d
>> - motif widgets via x11-tookits/open-motif
>> - sync-input
>> - toolkit-scrollbars

> Cool, I'll add those options, thanks for reminding. I'll post a new diff tomorrow. :)

>> - sound, that may depend on alsa when it's installed, i.e. ports/145964

> Okay, I'll try that. But, I never ever used sound in Emacs, not even in
> GNU/Linux. Lets hope that works.

Please discard all of the editors/emacs diffs sent earlier. And instead use
the attached diff, which has support for all of the options mentioned
above. There is no support for ALSA.

The diff submitted earlier for Mk/bsd.emacs.mk is fine.

Thanks
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs
Comment 10 Boris Samorodov freebsd_committer 2010-05-14 07:19:15 UTC
State Changed
From-To: feedback->open

Submitter has become a maintainer. 


Comment 11 Boris Samorodov freebsd_committer 2010-05-14 07:19:15 UTC
Class Changed
From-To: update->maintainer-update

Submitter has become a maintainer.
Comment 12 Boris Samorodov freebsd_committer 2010-05-14 07:21:59 UTC
Responsible Changed
From-To: freebsd-ports-bugs->bsam

Take.
Comment 13 dfilter service freebsd_committer 2010-05-14 09:04:53 UTC
bsam        2010-05-14 08:04:39 UTC

  FreeBSD ports repository

  Modified files:
    Mk                   bsd.emacs.mk 
    editors/emacs        Makefile distinfo pkg-plist 
  Removed files:
    editors/emacs/files  patch-ChangeLog patch-configure.in 
                         patch-src-ChangeLog patch-src-filelock.c 
                         patch-src-image.c patch-src-xfns.c 
  Log:
  . update to version 23.2;
  . introduce OPTIONS.
  
  PR:             ports/146458
  Submitted by:   Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava at gmail.com> (maintainer)
  
  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.83      +2 -2      ports/Mk/bsd.emacs.mk
  1.94      +162 -55   ports/editors/emacs/Makefile
  1.18      +3 -3      ports/editors/emacs/distinfo
  1.2       +0 -11     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-ChangeLog (dead)
  1.6       +0 -11     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-configure.in (dead)
  1.2       +0 -12     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-src-ChangeLog (dead)
  1.2       +0 -12     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-src-filelock.c (dead)
  1.4       +0 -47     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-src-image.c (dead)
  1.2       +0 -30     ports/editors/emacs/files/patch-src-xfns.c (dead)
  1.32      +406 -15   ports/editors/emacs/pkg-plist
_______________________________________________
cvs-all@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/cvs-all
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "cvs-all-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
Comment 14 Boris Samorodov freebsd_committer 2010-05-14 09:04:59 UTC
State Changed
From-To: open->closed

Committed, thanks! 
I didn't remove the PORTEPOCH though (it should not be deletted 
if used once).
Comment 15 Giorgos Keramidas freebsd_committer 2010-05-19 12:37:04 UTC
Some of these are mutually exclusive, e.g. when Athena widgets are
enabled they disable GKT+ widgets and raw Xlib widgets.  When Motif
widgets are enabled they override the rest, and so on.

AFAIK, we should also bear in mind that for *some* toolkits (e.g. the
Athena widgets) the toolkit scrollbars are enabled by default when the
specific toolkit is enabled.

>> - gnustep
>
> GNUstep (aka -NS) support is buggy. And I never got it to compile successfully[1].
> [1]  http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5750

I've never managed to build GNUstep successfully.  Does it really matter
for FreeBSD as the base system of Emacs?
Comment 16 Ashish Shukla 2010-05-19 12:59:49 UTC
Giorgos Keramidas writes:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:10:59 +0530, wahjava@gmail.com (Ashish SHUKLA) wrote:
>> Anonymous  writes:
>> 
>> [...]
>> 
>>> I remember there are more options:
>>> - athena 3d widgets via x11-toolkits/Xaw3d
>>> - motif widgets via x11-tookits/open-motif
>>> - sync-input
>>> - toolkit-scrollbars
>> 
>> Cool, I'll add those options, thanks for reminding. I'll post a new
>> diff tomorrow. :)


> Some of these are mutually exclusive, e.g. when Athena widgets are
> enabled they disable GKT+ widgets and raw Xlib widgets.  When Motif
> widgets are enabled they override the rest, and so on.


> AFAIK, we should also bear in mind that for *some* toolkits (e.g. the
> Athena widgets) the toolkit scrollbars are enabled by default when the
> specific toolkit is enabled.


Yes, I've taken care of all that in the updated port, and so far hasn't
noticed any issues.

>>> - gnustep
>> 
>> GNUstep (aka -NS) support is buggy. And I never got it to compile successfully[1].
>> [1]  http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5750


> I've never managed to build GNUstep successfully.  Does it really matter
> for FreeBSD as the base system of Emacs?


I don't think so, but enabling GNUstep disables lots of other enhancements due
to incompatibilities which is sad.

-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs