The FTP download choked on base.txz (corp. firewall issue), but continued downloading the rest of the distfiles, then asked if I wanted to retry downloading the files.
2nd try crashed and burned (the progress bar went over 100% and the installer halted).
Fix: The attached patch (truncate the file) isn't optimal, but it's simple and will address multiple potential issues dealing with distfile fetch failures without introducing having to introduce the whacky state machine that was present in sysinstall (and in many cases got things wrong). An alternate, less failure prone method should be provided which can operate outside of the installer if download retrying is needed.
That and there's no guarantee that the upstream FTP/HTTP server supports download resume until the fetch is attempted.
Patch attached with submission follows:
How-To-Repeat: 1. Download the network installer.
2. Nuke or taint one of the tarballs such that it fetches but fails to extract, or corrupt one of the bytes in the file.
Over to maintainer(s).
The attached patch goes beyond what the previous patch did in the
1. Catch errors and terminate whenever a failure occurs.
2. Catch more user errors with undefined environment variables.
3. Catch memory allocation errors.
4. Convert fprintf+return calls to err*(3)/warnx(3) calls.
5. Reorder error handling to avoid potentially confusing mangling via
For bugs matching the following criteria:
Status: In Progress Changed: (is less than) 2014-06-01
Reset to default assignee and clear in-progress tags.
Mail being skipped