Bug 211643 - ixgbe(4) does not reliably bring up 10G links with ZyXEL XS1920 switches
Summary: ixgbe(4) does not reliably bring up 10G links with ZyXEL XS1920 switches
Status: New
Alias: None
Product: Base System
Classification: Unclassified
Component: kern (show other bugs)
Version: 10.3-RELEASE
Hardware: amd64 Any
: --- Affects Some People
Assignee: freebsd-net mailing list
URL:
Keywords: IntelNetworking
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-08-07 18:32 UTC by Nathan Whitehorn
Modified: 2017-03-29 19:04 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Nathan Whitehorn freebsd_committer 2016-08-07 18:32:39 UTC
I am using ixgbe(4) with the on-board X550-T2 NIC on a SuperMicro X11SSH-CTF motherboard, attached to a port on a ZyXEL XS1920-12 switch. The system is running FreeBSD 10.3.

If the interface is set to autonegotiate, the port takes 2-5 minutes to bring up the link and 99% of the time it comes up as 1 Gbit, rather than 10. Forcing the media to 10GBase-T results in the link coming up as 10GBase-T fairly reliably (80% of the time). It again typically takes several minutes for the link to go up and, in the other 20% of cases, it either takes hours or the link stays down permanently.

RHEL6.8 on the same hardware brings up the link reliably with no noticeable delay.
Comment 1 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-23 10:55:19 UTC
I see the same with a Supermicro X11SSZ-TLN4F against a Ubiquity EdgeSwitch 16 XG copper port:

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-16-xg/

see also:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/57536/
Comment 2 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-23 11:23:34 UTC
Ticket at Ubiquity

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/requests/682423
Comment 3 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-23 14:25:14 UTC
Ticket with supermicro: SM1703233787
Comment 4 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-24 11:20:50 UTC
Supermicro provided a firmware upgrade for the ethernet interface firmware, tested with ubiquity, looks good.
Comment 5 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-24 11:28:58 UTC
still open: Should the interface autonegotiate 10g ?

It only works with

  ifconfig ix0 media 10gbase-t
Comment 6 Nathan Whitehorn freebsd_committer 2017-03-29 18:38:08 UTC
Is the SuperMicro firmware update released? I have never had any luck with autoconfiguration either.
Comment 7 Kurt Jaeger freebsd_committer 2017-03-29 19:04:37 UTC
As far as I understand the firmware is not publicly released. Please go to

https://webpr3.supermicro.com/Support/login.aspx?

open a ticket, reference the ticket SM1703233787 and ask for the patch.