Created attachment 203898 [details]
port option changes to enable PULSEAUDIO
I have not had working sound in VirtualBox for a long time.
- Host OS: FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p3 #6 r343805M
- Host HW: Core i7 2630QM, Conexant CX20590
- x11/kde5 installed, all ports latest
- Various client machines (Win 10, FreeBSD 12 & 13, openSUSE, Debian, CentOS,...)
- Today I recompiled all ports with PULSEAUDIO enabled (where it was off before), to be exact the following: kde5-22.214.171.124.04.0 virtualbox-ose-5.2.26_4 alsa-plugins-1.1.1_4 kmix-19.04.0 openal-soft-1.19.1_2 ffmpeg-4.1.3_2,1 mplayer-126.96.36.19990329_1 mpv-0.29.1_6,1 phonon-qt5-4.10.2_3 qt5-multimedia-5.12.2 QtAV-1.12.0_7 speech-dispatcher-0.8.8 espeak-1.48.04_6 libao-1.2.0_4 sdl-1.2.15_13,2 sdl2-2.0.9_2 vlc-3.0.6_12,4 freerdp-2.0.0.r4_2 plasma5-plasma-desktop-5.15.4_1 plasma5-plasma-5.15.4 qt5-webengine-5.12.2 (precise list of changes attached)
- VirtualBox now supports Pulseaudio, Alsa, and OSS
- Sound in the VM basically never works
- Tried with OSS, Alsa, and Pulseaudio backends
- Today, and only once, sound worked haltingly in openSUSE Leap 15.0 when using Pulseaudio (now it does not anymore)
- Sound from native applications works without problem
- A few years ago, sound did work. I believe the last VirtualBox version where it was working was something like 4.0.8.
- Since enabling PULSEAUDIO (see above) I now have two audio volume mixers in my panel. Can anybody explain what is going on?
- Does anybody have sound working in VirtualBox clients? If yes, what magic are you using?
See bug 233301 – emulators/virtualbox-ose - multimedia issues on 13-current
(In reply to Graham Perrin from comment #1)
Thank you, yes I have seen that PR.
For me not even pulseaudio works (except for exactly one time), and I did switch to it in the VM config.