The following block:
#LICENSE_FILE= Not yet packaged in sdist
# Actually 2.7, 3.4+
USE_PYTHON= autoplist distutils
Results in the following portlint output:
===> Validating port with portlint
FATAL: Makefile: extra item "USES" placed in the LICENSE section.
FATAL: Makefile: extra item "USE_PYTHON" placed in the LICENSE section.
2 fatal errors and 0 warnings found.
This issue may be more generic in nature, and exhibit itself in other rules relating to block/section identification or order
Forgot to note, in case it helps with analysis or a fix, removing any *one* of the comments results in expected behaviour: looks fine.
So there's a parsing instruction that merges <comment><blank line><comment> into one section. Essentially, this is pulling up USES into LICENSE. This is a commented part of the code, so at some point someone wanted this. I'm removing the parsing for now to see who complains.
A commit references this bug:
Date: Mon Mar 2 22:23:11 UTC 2020
New revision: 527653
Update to 2.18.11
* No longer warn for manpages installed under share/man 
* Remove code to combine comments and blank lines in a section 
* Remove code to combine comments and blank lines 
* USE_PYQT sets the necessary QT USES 
* Only warn on lack of INSTALLS_ICONS when USES=gnome is set 
* Check for files that have been patched multiple times 
PR: 240359 
Submitted by: 0mp  
Differential Revision: D23896 
Fixed in 2.18.11.