Last week I submitted bug 251074 - mail/nullmailer: update to 2.2
My patch was accepted and over the weekend it seems that the new nullmailer-2.2 package has been built and have become available for all users as an update to the old nullmailer-1.13 package...
Before submitting the port patch for nullmailer I have done numerous pkg delete/install etc on my own system to test the install/upgrade scenarios...
But the only thing that I could not test locally now seems to fail... upgrade
For some reason pkg upgrade works different that the local pkg install/delete operations...
My guess is that it must have something to do with the inner workings of the new pre/postexec and pre/postunexec - but I miss a clear picture here...
1) I had the old nullmailer-1.13 package installed
2) over the weekend the new nullmailer-2.2 package became available online
3) On my local system I somply issued "pkg upgrade" - and nullmailer was upgraded to the new version 2.2
4) after the upgrade the the filesystem fifo file that should be located here /var/spool/nullmailer/trigger is missing.
5) the missing /var/spool/nullmailer/trigger fifo file will cause nullmailer to commit (queue) new mails to disk - but never send them :-S
6) uninstalling nullmailer-2.2 and installing nullmailer-2.2 again fixed the problem - but upgrades should work as well
I hope that you can help here - the problem is quite urgent as nullmailers users that perform the package upgrade seems to have all their new mails stuck in their queues forever after upgrade :-S
Thanks in advance
I haven't looked closely at the new version.
But based on what you've mentioned;
Would stopping && restarting nullmailer have
cleared the old pid/queue and created the new
ones for the new(er) version?
This is what it sounds like to me given that
it worked simply installing it, whereas upgrading
in-place failed. I think the old pid/queue wasn't
cleared to make the change for the new one.
Just kind of a guess. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the suggestion
But that does not really seem to be the problem here...
Stopping and starting nullmailer does not fix the problem after upgrade
The actual problem - as I see it - is that the fifo file /var/spool/nullmailer/trigger does not exist after an upgrade from nullmailer-1.13 to nullmailer-2.2
Where uninstalling nullmailer-1.13 and installing nullmailer-2.2 works
So there seems to be a difference in what "pkg upgrade" does in respect to what "pkg delete" followed by "pkg install" does...
In a bigger perspective - without understanding the depth or reason for this problem - it seems to me that the difference is quite unfortunate - as it will make a porters testing efforts even more difficult...
It seems that there is only one other port (comms/hylafax) that does fifo creation from pkg-plist...
I have a hope that my ticket bug 251245 (mail/nullmailer: modernize pkg-plist)
Will correct the described problem - but then again - cannot test before it hits public mirrors