Created attachment 222382 [details]
Patch for Mk/Uses/kodi.mk
We are at a point where multiple people want to add Addon Ports for multimedia/kodi but we don't have any proper integration in the Ports Framework yet. The main problem is that pkg-plist for addons contains shared objects with the version number of kodi.  This means updating kodi (even minor updates) requires to also update all pkg-plists for all existing addons.
The good thing is that addons are a very good candidate for automatic plist creation because they install their files into well defined directories prefixed with the addon name. This is the main selling point for USES=kodi.
In the world of kodi addons there are two types of addons:
(1) native addons (usually C++): There are multiple types (games/libretro, PVR, visualization, screensaver) and I have tested a few of each category to make sure I don't miss any special needs for any of those.
(2) python based addons: They seem to be fully platform independent so they can easily be installed from the kodi GUI and there is no need to create a port for them at all. They are not supported by this mk.
There are currently 11 addon ports waiting in bugzilla and 3 in the portstree and I have converted most of them already to USES=kodi in my repository. 
Could someone from portmgr please approve the new USES=kodi?
(In reply to Bernhard Froehlich from comment #1)
You can maintain it yourself if you like, most USES don't need portmgr approval.
A commit references this bug:
Date: Sun Feb 28 18:24:03 UTC 2021
New revision: 566785
New USES=kodi for Kodi Home Theater Addons
- Addonname should match PORTNAME or you will need to set KODI_ADDON
- pkg-plist is autogenerated (use USES=kodi:noautoplist to avoid this)
- essential dependencies are added automatically
Reviewed by: rene