If you have 'textproc/xmlto' installed, 'make -C audio/alsa-utils build' fails:
No manual entry for alsactl_init.xml
gmake: *** [Makefile:1113: alsactl_init.7] Error 1
When the MANPAGES option was added (May 2021 with update to 1.2.2), the attempt to use xmlto was flawed a few ways:
- configure does not heed ac_cv_prog_xmlto at all, so the attempt to force the build to use minixmlto does nothing.
- the configure process never sets 'xmlto', so the patch to use $(xmlto) results in an empty expansion and the 'No manual entry' failure, but only if xmlto is detected - i.e., only if textproc/xmlto is installed. This is not installed in a poudriere environment, so xmlto support is disabled during 'make configure' (thus hiding the bug, but also causing one of the man pages to not be generated).
- if the MANPAGES option is off, man pages are still installed.
- if rst2man is installed (py-docutils), a couple other man pages are generated which break 'make check-plist'. If rst2man is not installed, that is detected and two man pages are not generated.
The attached patch uses BINARY_ALIAS to use minixmlto instead of the incorrect Makefile.am (or Makefile.in) patch attempt. It also adds the missed dependency on rst2man.
It also shuffles some lines to make portclippy / portlint happy.
QA using attached patch:
- poudriere testport (ok WITH=MANPAGES and WITHOUT=MANPAGES)
- portclippy (ok)
- portlint (ok)
See also the original bug 245321. This update broke the way minixmlto was used because ac_cv_prog_xmlto was removed from the configure script. More specifically, 1.2.2 changed to a different configure variable which did not set any xmlto variable (or, thus, allow a way to override any xmlto variable).
In other words, this has been broken since the 1.2.2 update.
Created attachment 229963 [details]
[patch] fix alsa-utils MANPAGES option
Add patch described in comment 1.
A commit in branch main references this bug:
Author: John Hein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
AuthorDate: 2021-12-29 08:45:45 +0000
Commit: Fernando Apesteguía <fernape@FreeBSD.org>
CommitDate: 2021-12-29 08:47:29 +0000
audio/alsa-utils: fix MANPAGES option
* MANPAGES off still installed them
* Installed xmlto broke build
Reported by: email@example.com
audio/alsa-utils/Makefile | 21 +++++-----
.../files/patch-alsactl_Makefile.am (gone) | 8 ----
audio/alsa-utils/pkg-plist | 45 ++++++++++++----------
3 files changed, 35 insertions(+), 39 deletions(-)