Created attachment 198685 [details]
Corrected VAAPI/VDPAU config help
The config help for graphics/mesa-dri is incorrect for the VAAPI option. I am attaching what I believe is correct text.
1. Changes have to be submitted in unified diff(1) format.
2. VDPAU/VAAPI in mesa-dri is for Gallium drivers but i915/i965 are not
3. VDPAU is only supported by r300, r600, radeonsi, nouveau
4. VAAPI is only supported by r600, radeonsi, nouveau
5. drm-kmod meta port may select drm-legacy-kmod which lacks VDPAU/VAAPI
6. bug 230298 already updates pkg-help to match recent state
Sorry Jan that's not correct.
VAAPI is hardware decoding for Intel GPUs.
VDPAU is dito for Radeon and Nvidia.
(In reply to Johannes Lundberg from comment #2)
VAAPI on Intel requires multimedia/libva-intel-driver
VAAPI on NVIDIA requires multimedia/libva-vdpau-driver
VDPAU on NVIDIA requires nvidia-driver + multimedia/libvdpau
See also https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Iris-Gallium
Yes I missed that nouvou (or however it’s spelled) does support vaapi as well.
(In reply to Jan Beich from comment #3)
> VAAPI on Intel requires multimedia/libva-intel-driver
More options based on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
- multimedia/libva-intel-driver can partially accelerate VP9 decoding/VP8 encoding via multimedia/libva-intel-hybrid-driver
- multimedia/libva-intel-driver can be replaced (on Broadwell or newer) with multimedia/libva-intel-media-driver (LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD)